From:
Midas Gold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 14:18:15 -0400
Don and Rachel Matesz wrote: <[log in to unmask]>

> The herders (Abel) who were attacked by the agriculturalists (Cain)
> were the Semites--the ancestors of the Hebrews.

Close, but not correct.  After Cain and Abel, Adam and Eve produced a
third son, named Seth.  Seth was the ancestor of Noah.  One of Noah's
sons was named Shem.  Shem was the ancestor or Abraham, the first
Hebrew.  There were 10 generations from Adam to Noah, and 10
generations from Noah to Abraham.  The line is traced through Adam's
3rd son, Seth, *not* Abel.

> I have no doubt that Hebrew law was originally the law of Abel, the
> non-agricultural Semites.

Close, except it wasn't Abel.  Before the birth of the Hebrews, the
Law was the inheritance of Noah's son Shem, and Shem's son Ever -
together, Shem and Ever led an ancient academy for the study of the
Law.  The term "Semite" is derived from Shem's name; literally, a
"Semite" is a descendant of Shem.

--
Deanna