From:
Ingrid Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 23:00:57 -0700
-

>Mary asked:
>
>>Has anyone made jerky/pemmican out of wild boar meat? A friend is giving
me
>>some today...
>
>Not recommended. It could have trichinosis. While this is no longer a
>problem for commercial pigs, it is my understanding that it still is a
>problem for wild boar and bear meat. So cook it before eating it.

Walrus , seals, bears ,whales are carrying trichonosis too . One will have
to explain how all thoses animals are not "affected" by the infestation and
why inuit feeding on those raw meat are not decimated by the disease. Less
than100 cases in the us  every year, not a big deal in comparaison with
other diseases. French are heavy consumator of salted raw pork product , i
didn't hear of an epidemic of trichonosis happening there either.
i read that freezing, salting and drying or microwaving are not killing the
worm larva. So if all those animals and humans survive the cohabitation with
this parasite, the interesting question is why humans are not . In fact they
are , for one person developping intense symptoms , many get only mild ones,
and even more people don't get any noticeable symptoms at all .
balanced cohabitation between species is a given in Nature, not the war
pictured by our separated mind.
jean-claude recovering paranoiac,(just smiling)