From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 10:54:21 +0200
Ilya wrote:

>I was merely saying
>that part of fat CAN be converted to glucose.

>The amount is
>relatively small and varies by type of fat.

>Are you trying to say butter is non-paleo?
Yes.
> Are you now agreeing with me, but saying the

>amounts are too small?
The glycerol in the fatty acids make
only a very small carbohydrate contribution
if it is converted by the body to glucose.
(5-10%), far less than actually needed, even
if the body happens to cut down expenses
whereever possible.

>Also, this tread was started by somebody in

>ketosis, if I recall.
>Even if fat contributes only a few grams of

>carbs per day
>this may be a substantial addition for a

>person who only needs 40gm or so.
But if Kathleen had problems to stay in
ketosis as she or her husmand intended
the main problem may be that there isn't
enough protein to be converted to carb energy.
Especially if in the first days the actual
requirements are much bigger than these
40 gms, 180 gms.
So i just wanted to have checked if there is
enough protein eaten, which i doubt.
Or to include enough carbohydrate for the
brain and blood cells directly.

>> Btw.: nobody expects our anchestor humans

to have stayed in
>> in ketosis, right?
>I guess I am a nobody then, seeming to

>remember at least some
>hunter gatherers who do - Inuit, may be many

>others did too.
From time to time they may have been in

ketosis - since
body has this option it'll be working.
But not *stayed*. Inuit yes, homo erectus no.

>> Why torture the body if the right form of

fuel is available
>> in the form of fruit.
>Available when? during one season a year

only? So, what exactly,
>if not animal foods, do you figure our

>ancestors ate in the middle
>of winter? (Say those who lived in the snow

>covered parts of the world).
>Digging up nutritious roots from under feet

>of snow all winter long?

I don't think that Inuit are a good example
for the millions of years humans and humanoids
emerged in tropical parts of africa.
Because zebras and gnus and antelopes are
*low* in fat.
And some carbs should always
be available in the tropics,
cancelling ketosis.
No snow in olduvai.

Nevertheless it seems that parts of humanity
went through the inuit-like bottleneck
of ice-convered europe (in winter)
for the years from about 35000bc to 10000bc.
IMO this is maily why ketosis works, and
why it is a valid paleodiet.

>And what do you mean torture - the main

>source of calories on these
>diets should be fat. The adequate amount of

>protein on a keto
>diet will also provide the needed minimal

>glucose (...) So, do you mind explaining

>exactly what
>is wrong with ketosis?
Fortunately we have good fat sources
(Inuit have too, !Kung have mongongo)
to nourish most of our body.
If not diabetic , i still can't see *why*
we shouldn't take up
our brains food *directly*.
We know how much it needs, if we don't try to
cut it down.

The necessary amount if protein in ketosis
looks rather high to me.
But not wrong... Whoever decides so.

regards, Amadeus

--