From:
Barbara Sheppard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 11:23:16 +0900
At 00:36 28/06/99 -0700, Jean-Claude wrote:

>I just hang the meat in the fridge so air is circulating around. I use
>screen only when i am hanging outside to keep fly away. Lately in my fridge
>i got strange looking smelly things (in the opinion of other members of my
>family)

I, too, have a family who I'm sure would take offence at seeing bits of
meat or fish hanging around in the fridge, or openly lying on the racks.
When I became interested in trying this out, I decided to be a little more
discreet by using a plastic ice cream container (no lid) and covering the
bottom of it with a few biscuit cutters. This creates a grid onto which the
pieces of meat or fish can be laid, and air can still circulate around them
reasonably well. I hide the container away at the back of the bottom shelf,
so that it's not readily visible to someone opening the fridge.

This has been working quite well for me (I've only tried chicken and fish
so far), although it helps to turn the pieces over every day or two, as
they do tend to stay a little moist on the bottom because of the restricted
air flow.

Just thought this might be of interest to others who live in households
where there is some aesthetic sensitivity.

Regards,
Barbara