From:
Rick Strong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jun 1999 07:53:23 -0400
There is some recent mention in the popular press of a skeletal find  whewrein
the the bone conformation seems to suggest a Cro-Magnon/Neandertal hybrid.  There
is quite a debate over the fate of the Neandertals ranging from the theory that
they were assimilated into the Cro-Magnon populaton by interbreeding  to the
proposition that they were eliminated by encroachment.  Speaking of Europe, the
Cro-magnons arrived on the scene about 40k ago and the Neandertals were gone soon
afterward even though they had been present and evolving in Europe for a few
hundred thousand years.  Rick
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<