From:
"Anna L. Abrante" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 11:37:22 EDT
> Dear Members: I started the PaleoDiet two weeks ago, however, since I have
>  been a lacto-ovo vegetarian for the past 23 years, I am not (yet?) eating
>  meat or fish-only egg whites ( approx. 18/day), fruits, vegetables and a
>  little olive oil. I have not yet added nuts. I am 42 years old and type 2
>  (NIDDM) diabetic for the past 7 years.

Brian, when you were first diagnosed with NIDDM, did it not cross your mind,
and I'm sure NOT your Dr's mind, that your L-O Veg diet might have been the
cause???. It was making you insulin resistant.....Your body was
 telling you something.

 I was taking 5mg Glucotrol XL 4 times
>  a day and 500 mg Glucophage daily. Even with the pills, my morning blood
>  sugar was still 250 ( and my tryglicerides were 500+).

This is incredible. Doctors know how to stop this.  But they don't want you
to.

 after just a few days
>  on the PaleoDiet, my morning blood sugar is 125to140to150 - without any
>  pills. (I'll test my tryglicerides shortly). My weight has gone from 210 to
>  200. Aside from adding meat and fish, does anyone have any
>  suggestions/comments about my diet? Thanks in advance. Brian Chenensky, New
>  York, New York

I myself have reactive hypoglycemia.  I just spent the last
month experimenting with a diet given to me by the
registered dietician that my Dr. sent me to.  (He was
getting a bit frustrated with my questioning the
politically correct diets our government pushes on us.
He doesn't believe in paleo eating.)

  Believe it
or not, she recommended a vegetarian diet.  So despite
my better judgement and complaints, the scientist in me
gave it a shot.  After 4 weeks, Yesterday, I couldn't take
it anymore.  I'm back to paleo.  The brain fog, fatigue, and
weight gain, was killing me.

  I don't care what the stats on veg eating
say, this is not good for someone with blood sugar inbalances.
I specifically wanted her to direct me to a diet that would
prevent diabetes (since I'm already maladaptive to sugar).
It is beyond irresponsible for the medical establishment to
recommend vegism to people like us.  I was shocked when she
made the suggestion, she was throwing sugar to someone
who reacts to sugar.  I want to believe it's just plain
ignorance, but I can't help but feel there's something
more sinister in it.  When you were diagnosed you should
have had most carbs removed from your diet.  Instead
they threw drugs at you.  This is really scary.  I was
worried about what I was going to tell the R.D. on my
next visit, now I think I'm so angry SHE should be the
one to worry.

There are several excellent books that I can recommend
to you that deal with low-carb eating for correcting
blood sugar problems, if you're interested, email me.

You have made the right decision switching to paleo, you
will add years and quality to your life.

Anna L. Abrante     <v e r y piiisssed right now>