From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2000 13:15:42 -0700
Justin wrote:

> Oh, I see.  I guess doing nothing but dips, full
> squats, curl-grip
> pulldowns, and standing dumbbell shoulder presses
> means my body will 'adapt'
> and I should throw in a bunch of isolation movements
> to 'confuse' my muscles

And...

> First off, anyone who thinks bench presses are even
> a remotely benificial
> movement obviously knows nothing of human physiology
> (see Arthur Jones).

Justin, I agree with you regarding your exercise
choices for the most part. Personally, I prefer to do
dips and cable or dumbell flyes rather than bench
presses. But I can't help but wondering - don't you
ever get tired of doing the same basic movements all
the time? Doesn't it make sense to mix it up a little
bit every once in awhile?

I'm "speaking" as someone who would not consider
myself a "serious" bodybuilder or lifter. In other
words, mass and unimaginable strength are not my
primary goals. I lift mainly to keep from losing the
muscle I had in my youth (and I do believe I am *much*
stronger at 42 than I was at 22).

It seems to me, that like in everything else, there
likely exists a "happy medium" between the high
intensity philosophies and the more volume oriented
approaches. And one way to reach it would be to take a
more cyclic approach and incorporate some of each over
a period of time (which is the core of what the author
of the article was trying to say).

IMHO.