CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bill Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2000 15:19:26 +1000
Issodhos @aol.com wrote:

[...]

>    By "economically productive" I mean anyone from a ditch digger to a CEO.
>I suspect you have some esoteric theory, but you will have to explain why
>you say I, as a member of the working class, am NOT paying taxes when I am
>forced to send in or have expropriated from my paycheck, income for which I
>have exchanged my labor and a portion of my life. :-)

My theory is entirely practical. If you do not pay tax, you cannot be said
to be paying tax. Tax paid by your employer directly to the government
cannot be said to be money paid by *you* to the government. It also cannot
be said to be part of your wages, since it is not actually paid to you.
Book-keeping entries notwithstanding.

You exchange your labour for the wages the employer pays you.

Bill Bartlett
Bracknell Tas