C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dana Marshall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 May 1999 20:08:05 -0700
According to Dr. Lowser (the doctor that installs the ITB)'s office,
Medicare takes care of ALL the costs of the surgery and the refills every
4-6 weeks. (Where did you get 90 days?) I just have to go to the doctor's
office to get the pump refilled, and not have it done at home.

My GP asked me to talk to 10 people that have had the pump installed,
BEFORE I make a decision. This seems like a great idea. He'd not heard of
it, nor had he had time to read to read the literature.

As for FDA approval, there are YEARS of human trials before the FDA
approves anything. Now, I am more interested in what people who have the
pump say is their quality of life after the pump compared to before. :) I'm
looking for (at the very least), easing of spasticity so I can get dressed
w/o fighting with my body and becoming exhausted. Now, I'm ASSUMING that
getting rid of some of the spasticity will also get rid of some of my pain.
:)

I will keep everyone informed about what I experience on Monday.

Dana