C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Trisha Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 07:59:34 -0400
Hi Cindy,

> >        My son's P.T. just got a little E-stim machine and my son
> complained
> >when she turned the volume up. So I put it on me and it was
uncomfortable,
> >like a needle prick of electricity, but I wouldn't be able to tolerate it
> >either. Is the TES similiar to this or is it at such a low volume that
> Amber
> >doesn't feel it?

        Since I have no idea what setting your pt had it on - so I don't
know how it felt - I do know how Amber therapist handled it - the settings
Amber can tolerate, and how it felt on me.  Amber rarely has a machine
setting of higher than 2 anything more than that and its uncomfortable. It
should feel like the last of the receding pins and needles when you arm
falls asleep - you know somthing is there but its not truly bothersome.
Another thing is the machine cycles so each each burst is short and then
there is period with no sensation. I have noticed Amber can tolerate higher
levels depending on where the electrodes are. TES is the same thing and I
was careful to set the levels to what Amber found comfortable. If your son
complained it was uncomforatble then it was set to high to for him. It is an
individual thing. Someone folks take a setting of one, somefolks can a much
higher setting - Just because your therapist has machine doesn't mean she
has had proper training or knows what she doing or perhaps just lacks the
hands on element. Amber's therapist trains other therapist and I am sure
Shirley would be happy to talk to your therapist and tell her about her
experience and how she does this - she has I believe 20+ years experience.
I always if possible things done to me first so I can help Amber with what's
coming - Since anything new is related back to what we already know - I have
a bit more knowing than Amber. Plus we all have different ideas of what pain
is - Anytime Amber told Shirley the seeting was to high - in the form it was
uncomfortable - the setting was lowered immediately. Pain doesn't teach us
anything more than the fact we don't like pain. Keep the pyschology of pian
in mind - if we think something is going to hurt - it will, and it will hurt
worse than a surprise pain of greater magnatude. The mind is a powerful
thing.

        Hopefully this will help get you on the right track. TES and e-stim
assisted PT did away with the need for Amber to have the numerous tendon
cutting surgeries on her arm and leg. Yes, they do arms to. I know this
works - they use this on athletes to help heal muscles, they use this on
older- older people to help their bones heal, I have had it for pain
control. I will say - I have said this on another list - We are to awed by
professionals - they don't know a damn thing we can't know - if we read and
apply rudimentary logic. We are capably of independent thinking even if its
not encouraged in our society because it a threat to those in charge with
fragile ego's. I research the living daylights out of things before I make
decisions. Unless you're dealing with a life threatening item - you have
time and anyone who forces you into their time frame doesn't have your best
interests at heart. Do not let the professionals intimadate you. They eat
breakfast just like you do - put on their clothes the same way - get sick
and die the same way. Book knowledge is not wisdom and wisdom doesn't
require book knowledge!! I have a trick for when I get to overshadowed by
someone - I imagine them in the most awkward embrassing moment that can
happen - and that turns them back into a human I can deal with.

                    Brightest Blessings
                         Trisha