VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

"VICUG-L: Visually Impaired Computer Users' Group List" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
"wang.." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 May 1998 12:13:07 -0400
Hi All:

Recently most Oracle tutoring books and user menu books include the
electronic version on CD. But the those Books can only be read by their
text reader, which is fully graphical and not accessable to any window
speech program. I have contact Oracle company in the past month. Last
week, they give me the final answer: "Because the books must be
confidential, we can not give out any electronic copy that can be read by
other text editor." When I ask them whether they could make their text
reader included in the CD be accessable by the screen reader for the
blind. Their answer is absolute negative.

I told them that I have been working on Oracle database system for a
couple of years. In my current job, I need to use SQL Loader to load text
data and use SQL*net and Pro*c to develop an application that interfacies
two instances--one on Oracle 7.2.2 and the other on 7.3.3 version. Since I
have never done that before, I ask them if they could release some related
information in any accessable format because those books are available on
the market; and sighted people can easily search the information on
Windows 95. They just told me that they could do nothing because their
products are not made for the blind.

What should I do? Since we have appealed to MicroSoft for the
accessability, should we do that to Oracle?

Thank you.

Ren Wang