Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Richard Archer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 12:06:33 +1000
At 11:03 +1000 21/10/99, Ben Balzer wrote:

>Yes, I would love a
>toxin index of plant foods, and if anyone finds one please let me know.

I have a few references that you might be interested in. They are a long
way from perfect though.

From an Iguana care web site <http://www.sonic.net/~melissk/plants.html>
The entire appendix is reproduced online:

Harmful Plants

The most extensive list of poisonous plants that I have found is in Sue
Barnard's book Reptile Keeper's Handbook (Barnard, S. M. (1996.) Reptile
Keeper's Handbook. Krieger Publishing Company, Kreiger Drive, Malabar, FL.
pp. 167-184. ISBN 089464-933-7). Permission to reprint the plant appendixes
has been graciously provided to me by Sue Barnard and Krieger Publishing.

Appendix IX, Poisonous Plants, has been divided up into smaller files to
reduce the time needed to upload to your screen. Appendix X, Plants Causing
Mechanical Injury, is contained in one file. Both appendixes are in
alphabetical order by both the scientific name and common name.

Appendix IX: Poisonous Plants  A-E   F-J   K-O   P-T   U-Z

The Plants for a Future web site
<http://www.scs.leeds.ac.uk/pfaf/D_intro.html> has a huge searchable
database of plants:

The Species Database

One of the major projects of Plants for a Future has been the compilation
of the Species Database. This contains details of nearly 7000 plants, all
of which are either edible, have medicinal properties or have some other
use such as fibres, oils or soaps. For each plant the database contains
details of the uses of the plants, as well as information on the
environment it will grow in, and cultivation details.

 ...Richard.