Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 20:17:56 -0400
On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, Susan Carmack wrote:
> Hi Todd,
>
> >Of course, but if he had been a celiac he would have been dead
> >many years ago.  There is no reason to think he was one.
>
> Celiacs can easily live into their 80s. They aren't very well of course.
> Heart attacks are common...

I'm not sure what you're trying to say.  In the first message you
said that even moderate amounts of whole grains could kill a
celiac; now you say they can easily live into their 80s.  Some
have symptoms; some don't have symptoms.  In short, it seems that
anything at all might be a sign of celiac disease: feeling bad,
feeling good, having a heart attack at a young age, having a
heart attack at an old age.  I don't know what to make of this.

I have *no* information to suggest that this person had celiac
disease.  I don't know what caused his heart attack either, but
it's quite possible that it had nothing to do with diet.
Remember, scientists cannot cause heart attacks in laboratory
animals by dietary manipulations alone of any sort.

One of the interesting things mentioned on the Ravnskov
cholesterol page is the study that showed that Japanese
immigrants to the US had lower heart disease rates if they
maintained their traditional lifestyle than if they maintained
their traditional diet.  That is (if that wasn't clear)
non-dietary factors appeared to be more significant than dietary
factors.  Maybe something of the sort is what explains the death
of my friend a few months ago.

Todd Moody