Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 22:47:50 -0400
On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, Richard Keene wrote:

> I might suggest that the energy output required to be a triathlet
> is highly unnatural and could be unhealthy due to
> overworking the body.  H.G.'s did some amazing
> physical feats, but then had long rests between.

Think of it this way.  For high intensity exercise, glucose is
simply indispensable.  There is no substitute.  Thus, for HGs or
anyone else, available glucose represented a limit to the amount
of high intensity exercise that could be managed.  This limit
would vary according to the availability of carbs.  The training
levels reported of this triathlete would probably simply not be
possible for HGs for extended periods of time.

On the other hand the problematic aspects of high carb
consumption would be mostly compensated by the fact that the
glucose was so quickly being used up, rather than lingering to
cause metabolic damage.

So, for this person's chosen non-paleo lifestyle, some non-paleo
dietary concessions are in order.  Extra carbs, but in what form?
Ideally, we want a low-glycemic food with minimal impact on the
immune system.  I believe basmati rice has the lowest glycemic
index in the rice family, and I have the idea (perhaps mistaken)
that rice is better tolerated than most grains.

I'd suggest beans, since they have some of the lowest glycemic
index of all foods, but who wants a triathlete who farts?

Todd Moody