Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 26 Jun 1999 19:53:33 -0500
K Green wrote:

> Finally, while I know this list is derived from the work of Mr.
> Audette, whose book I enjoyed and found quite interesting, but I
> didn't think that this list was some kind of personality cult, where
> people can't diverge from  the dogma of the founder.  Studies of
> ancestral diet *long* predated Mr. Audette's book (if not his life),
> and just because a new label has been slapped on that research, and a > new populist work communicates and renames it "paleonutrition" does
> not suddenly give that writer ownership of everything subsumed in the > new label.
>
> Off the soapbox,

Let 'em rave.  You've been around long enough it sounds like to know
that any theory that man can dream up will have it's diehard adherents.
I am living proof that this diet or lifestyle or what have you is great.
I feel great, my running schedule is way ahead of my initial plan and I
am even losing weight.

However, I do not adhere to the strict plan.  I own a restaurant in
which I am the cook.  My love of good food almost requires that I eat
Italian, French, Asian, etc.  My love of good alcohol almost requires
that I indulge in fine wines and Irish whiskey (Old Bushmill's) and
Padron Tequila.  About once every two or three weeks I indulge in the
aforementioned culinary fantasies and come to no harm.

In fact, I have noticed a curious thing.  I stay pretty much "paleo"
between debaucheries and when I indulge in my fantasies at the dining
table, or trencher if you will, my system throws off the bad effects in
24 hours.  A couple of weeks ago I drank more Margaritas that I really
should have.  While I wasn't drunk, I was definitely not sober (a fine
line I grant you).  The next day, I was completely without a hangover.
In days past, pre-paleo, I would have had a hangover that would have
killed a horse.

The only thing I can attribute the lack of a hangover to is that in the
weeks I am staying on Audette's "plan", my system is completely cleaned
of The Bad Things and is able to handle one night's partying with no
problem.  Marvelous.

So, to all the fanatics, take a chill pill.  This current life we live
is too damned interesting to be spent eating just pemmican, venison and
the occasional weed.  Stay paleo most of the time but enjoy the rest of
it.  Life is cool in the Dining Room.

James