C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Denise D. Goodman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 May 1999 13:06:55 EDT
Dana said, "According to Dr. Lowser (the doctor that installs the ITB)'s
office,  Medicare takes care of ALL the costs of the surgery and the refills
every 4-6 weeks. (Where did you get 90 days?)"

I assume you are referring to Medicare Part A.  I keep forgetting I even have
Medicare Part A, because my husband's insurance is used as our primary
insurance.  I'm always leary when the Doctor's office says Medicare will
cover ALL costs.  My grandparent's on both sides, before their deaths after
lengthly illnesses, were told everything is "covered" by Medicare.
Everything of course except deductibles and whatever else the hospital and
doctors decide to bill you for that medicare does not cover.  I was always
under the impression the whole reason you bought supplemental insurance was
so that it picked up the rest of the tab, Medicare didn't cover.  Again, I
haven't done the research, so I can't say beyond a resonable doubt if my
assumption is correct.

As to where I got the figure "90 Days," this is a direct quote from the
Medtronic Therapies & Products Web Site.   The company that manufacters the
ITB pump.  And I quote, "Q: Does the pump run out of medication?  A:  The
medication in the pump can last up to 90 days, depending on your dose."

Dana said, "As for FDA approval, there are YEARS of human trials before the
FDA
approves anything."  Yes of course.  The ITB has been, "used in thousands of
patients since 1984."  But the approval was only obtained three of four years
ago.

I think any GP who says talk to 10 peope who have the device is a wise
doctor.  For me personally, after reading tons of literature (side effects,
the actuall installation in the belly, possibilty if it showing through the
clothes, etc), ,I don't think this if for me.
My cp has always been considered "mild."  I do have very bad days, but then I
have good days too.  I'm currently trying to ease off of the oral Baclofen.
I think with the proper dose of Ativan and adding some swim therapy to my
routine, I'll be in much better shape.  Perhaps if my condition deteriorates
in the future and oral meds aren't effective, I'll recondsider the pump.  For
now, at least, I'm going to table the project :D

Thanks to all who have helped me reach this decision.  And Dana, I wish you
luck whatever you decide.  The important thing to remember is we are all
individuals and what works for some, may not work for others.  Our goal,
however is the same, optimum utilization of our individual physical ability.
- Sincerely:  Denise.