From:
Joany Janicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 20:30:06 EDT

Many thanks to those of you who responded to my inquiry regarding y2k
preparedness.  I recieved many good ideas and helpful food tips.  The
following is a short article that I compiled for our newsletter.

Joany Janicki, Washington, DC

Y2K PREPAREDNESS:

The recent hurricanes that have swept through our area and the ice storms
this past winter that left many of us without power for several days have
created unique challenges for those of us with celiac disease.  Even without
the impending disruptions that Y2K might bring forth, celiacs should be
prepared for such natural disasters.

No one can really predict the extent of problems, if any, that might arise
with the Y2K transition.  In an emergency, however, preparation means
everything.  Most emergency planners suggest having enough supplies to last
you and your family for three days to a week for weather-related events.

However, because of our dependence on special foods and foods that are
imported from other countries, celiacs might want to plan for longer periods
of time.  Do you know where your tapioca or rice flour comes from?  Experts
are predicting that many third world countries might be significantly less
prepared for Y2K than the United States and this might create longer term
complications with international distributors.

It might be advantageous to stock up on your gluten free staples, or have a
store of baked goods to last several months after Y2K problems are corrected.
In addition, if Y2K creates disruption in the transportation of  food
products within our own country, our familiar, and confirmed, gluten free
brands of non perishable items might not be available on our grocery store
shelves.

If there is such a need to go to a Red Cross shelter, celiacs must bring
their own food.  The Red Cross suggests having a two week supply of
specialized food on hand and not to depend on emergency relief food to see to
our needs.

The following are just a few suggestions to help in making up a celiac
disaster kit (food in the kit should be rotated every three to six months to
ensure freshness). Note that this list pertains to our specialized needs
only.  Refer to the contact list for further information regarding the basics
for disaster planning and more information on Y2K:

* Medication - Make sure that you have an adequate supply of required
medications.  Place in proper air tight containers.  Store an adequate supply
of gluten free pain reliever.

* Vitamins - Store enough to last you several weeks.

* Water  --  Water should be stored in plastic containers.  Avoid containers
that break if you need to transport them to different locations.  Store one
gallon of water per person per day:  Two quarts for drinking, two quarts for
food preparation/ sanitation.  Purifying agents might also be necessary if
you are dubious of your local water supply.

* Food

Dried foods- powdered milk, coffee, tea, cocoa, eggs, cornmeal, rice, gluten
free flours, instant potatoes, gluten free cereal.

Canned or jar fruits and vegetables -  Small cans are best.  Canned
vegetables do not require heating.  Applesauce, high protein beans such as
chickpeas or kidney, Nutella, (make sure you have a hand operated can opener)

Juices -available in single serving boxes or cans, Gatorade, V-8 Juice - many
of their drinks are not gluten free - check with the company, Minutemaid with
Calcium is gluten free and comes in individual boxes.

Milk- Powdered or canned.

Canned meat/ fish - Salmon, tuna fish, chicken, canned chili - Hormel, canned
chunk ham, canned stew - Dinty Moore.

Canned or instant gluten free broths:  Powdered type can be mixed with only
water for a nutritional soup. The commercially available gluten free broths
are Health Valley (both the chicken and beef), Herb Ox bouillon cubes,
Dominiques, Campbell's Healthy Request Chicken, Shelton's Chicken Broth,
Kitchen Basics (both the chicken and beef), Trader Joe's has its own brands
of broths.

Staples - sugar, salt, pepper, rice, gluten free pasta, bread - EnerG makes a
bread that keeps very well on the shelf.  Gluten free bread can be baked in
canning jars in the oven.  As soon as the jar comes out of the oven, the
boiled jar lids and then the rings are applied.  These should keep for about
6 months. Gluten free pancake mix that can be used for pancakes made on a
camp stove.

High energy foods - Jelly, peanut butter on gluten free crackers, nuts,
raisins, protein bars.

Stress and comfort foods - Cookies, hard candy such as Lifesavers, tortilla
chips and other such snacks.

Rice cakes - these will no doubt last forever.

Dehydrated foods - AlpinAire Foods manufactures packaged freeze dried foods
for backpackers and several of their items are gluten free. Call
1-800-322-6325 for their gluten free list.  www.alpinairefoods.com

If you have your own dehydrator, take advantage of it and package up some
foods for your kit, gluten free jerky, dehydrated soup mixes. The Tamarind
Tree Company makes several Indian style gluten free entrees that are shelf
stored and can be heated in boiling water.

Baby food -  Much of it is gluten free, stores well and comes in individual
containers.  This might be your only option if you find yourself in a shelter
with no food.

* Utensils, plates and pots and pans - if you have to go to a shelter or
someone else's house and are concerned about cross contamination.

APPROXIMATE SHELF LIFE OF FOODS STORED AT 70F:

Item            Shelf Life  Information Source
Refined Flours  1 year      Grain Process Enterprises Ltd. (800) 387-5292
Unrefined Flours6 months    Grain Process Enterprises Ltd. (800) 387-5292
White Rice      2 years     Lundberg Family Farms (530) 882-4551
Brown Rice      6 months    Lundberg Family Farms (530) 882-4551
Dry Beans       5 years     Utah State Univ. Extension Services (801) 370-8460
Dry Corn        5 years     Utah State Univ. Extension Services (801) 370-8460
Powdered Milk   2 years     Utah State Univ. Extension Services (801) 370-8460
Canned Fruits,
Veg., & meats   2-3 years   Utah State Univ. Extension Services (801) 370-8460
Sugar/ Honey,   indefinitely    Utah State Univ. Extension Services (801)
370-8460
Shortening      2 years     Utah State Univ. Extension Services (801) 370-8460
Baking Pder,    1 year      Utah State Univ. Extension Services (801) 370-8460
soda
Xantham Gum indefinitely    Ener-G Foods, Inc.  (800) 331-5222
Yeast           1 year      Red Star Yeast (800) 445-4746
Peanut Butter   1 year      Skippy Peanut Butter (800) 338-8831

For more information on Y2K preparedness contact the following:

* Presidents Council on Year 2000:  1-800-USA-4-Y2K, www.y2k.gov

* The American Red Cross:  703-248-4222,
     www.redcross.org/disaster/safety/y2k.html

* Federal Emergency Management Agency, www.fema.gov/y2k