From:
Robin Getz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 13:27:51 -0600

Hi,

My 3 year old son had a little mishap yesterday at his preschool.  His
class had a mom helping out for the day...the mom was handing out
snacks, which were oreo cookies...she inadvertently gave him one and by
the time the teachers realized what happened, he had already eaten half
of the cookie.  She (the teacher) grabbed the cookie out of his hand and
threw it out...much to his dismay...the teacher felt very badly about it
and so did the mom helping out and both of them explained to me what
happened and apologized profusely.  The teacher also stated that she is
putting in the class weekly newsletter that all moms helping out are not
to give Tyler food that has not yet been cleared by me due to his
medical condition.  WHile I was disappointed, I did anticipate something
like this happening at some point...

I have tried to talk to my son about accepting/not accepting foods from
people without checking to make sure he can have it.  He didn't want to
hear what I had to say, instead, he focused on how delicious the oreo
was, and how he wanted more oreos to eat.   He always brings a separate
snack to school to eat, and up to now, he has not complained about
having a different snack than the other children are having.

It has been more than 28 hours since he has eaten that oreo, and so far,
there has not been a reaction...should I be concerned that he has
ingested this oreo accidentially or should I be cautiously optimistic
that he may not actually have celiac?  His gastroenterologist has
questioned (for the past year) the celiac diagnosis...and has encouraged
me to put him through a gluten challenge but I wanted to wait until he
was at least 4 years old...when he was more able to explain to me how he
is feeling...

Thanks for listening,

Robin in CO, USA