From:
Carl Douthit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 18:00:38 -0400

Only 4 different mills were recommended. Below is a brief summary, then
comments from various people.

The prices are those given by people who responded.

Grainmaster WhisperMill:  3 recommendations ($175-$250)
K-Tec:  1 recommendation ($300-$350)
Magic Mill Plus:  1 recommendation ($260)
Vita-Mix:  1 recommendation

>>We got the K-Tec one and are extremely happy with it.  It's electric,
sturdy, efficient, about $300-350 and LOUD.

>>I don't have a grain mill, but I do have a Vita-Mix.  I make flour in
it from whole grains, can use it make smoothies, grind coffee, make
"ice cream", and soup -- I like it because of its diversity.

>>I have just bought the CSA/USA Grainmaster Whisper Mill.  I just love it!!
I have ground brown rice, bean and popcorn flour.  I have bought other grains
to mill.

The flour turns out nice and fine and the mill is easy to operate.
The mill has a Lifetime Warranty -- Easy to clean -- whisper quite.
The cost is $220 and well worth it.

>>I like the Whisper mill best. It is about 250.00

>>I bought the Whisper Mill, the top of the line. It works like a horse,
once I figured it out. Read the directions carefully. It's a little
more expensive than the others (around $175) but they say that over the
long haul, you'll be glad you spent the extra money.

>>We use the magic mill plus purchased through CSA about 4 years ago.  It was
260.00.  I have 3 celiac children so we grind a lot of rice into flour.  It
has been a money saver for us.  It is much cheaper to grind our own.  It
works well but gets hot when I put about 8 cups in to grind at once.  I let
it cool down between hopper fulls.  I am sure they did't have 20 lbs of
grinding at once in mind for this machine but by letting it cool I grind that
much at a time.