From:
"J. Wallace" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 17:51:37 EDT

Hello Listmembers ~

About a month ago, my adult biopsy -diagnosed celiac son suffered severe
abdominal pain followed by blood in and on his stools the next day.  We
received the results of the colonoscopy  biopsy yesterday.  He has internal
hemorrhoids.  Several of you suggested that could be the problem.  But his GI
doesn't believe they caused such terrible pain through his midsection and
can't give us any clue as to what the answer might be.

Our son is on several medications, Paxil being one.  When his refill arrived
last week the little paper listing all the studies done, side effects, etc.
was with the bottle.  Upon reading that so many subjects had withdrawn from
being part of the research on this drug because of abdominal discomfort a red
light went off.  He  decided to lower his 40 mg/day dose by 10 mg and see
what happened.  He no longer has  pain inside.  But it isn't that simple.  He
also ran out of Vitamin E pills and the dried apple slices I'd been making
since he went gluten free last fall.  We will add the Vit. E first.  Then the
dried apples.  He doesn't think he needs the larger dose of Paxil.  Actually,
he  began his three medications just about the time he was diagnosed with
celiac so for all we know, he no longer needs any of them.  We're taking it
one day at a time.

And as for me, my blood had tested positive for celiac through  the
University of Maryland Celiac Research this spring.  What a shock to have the
biopsy show damaged villi !  In the first place, it was my husband's cousin
whose diagnosis  led to our son's diagnosis.  So there is celiac on BOTH
sides of the family.  The Research Center now wants all of my relatives (or
as many as will co-operate) to send in their blood samples - not only to
check for celiac, but to be part of their current gene study.  My husband,
son, and I also sent in new samples for that study.  And it is so much easier
with the whole family again being gluten free - - now by necessity.

I want to thank all of you who responded to our son's dilemma.  Your caring
is heartwarming.

Jude  (on Vashon Is.)
Seattle  WA  USA