From:
Beth Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 16:09:05 -0600

With just a few replies I would say - yes, rinse and dry quinao before
making your own flour.

Answer 1 -
If you use our Ancient Harvest Quinoa you do not need to rinse before
grinding into a flour.  We wash our quinoa in pure water and sun dry it prior
to packing.  Just remember that although the quinoa has about a 2 year shelf
life, once it is processed into flour, it needs to be used within about 6
months so it is best to grind only what you are going to use to make sure it
is fresh.

If you have any more questions or comments you may E-Mail us at Quinoa Corp.

Answer 2 -
Hi, I would always rinse quinoa, for the reason you mentioned--the bitter
saponins--as well as to make sure dirt, and even stray glutinous flours, are
not contaminating it, before cooking or grinding. The problem then is, of
course, that then you must dry it again before grinding, or risk a gunky
mess instead of flour!  I would recommend heating it while stirring in a pan
on the stove or in the oven until dry, or, even better, use a home
dehydrator.  It's a lot of trouble, but I think it's the best way.  (I
haven't tried this with quinoa, but I have done it with rice to make rice
flour: takes at least a day, of course.)