From:
Jessie James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Oct 1999 11:27:03 -0700

Can't figure out how a Cdn gave the impression that we consider rye,
whiskey, gin, etc. gf in this country.  They certainly are not!!!!!!  It is
difficult to figure out how a grain alcohol is gf.

Those made in Canada almost always contain gluten, those imported in casks
or barrels and bottled in Canada may also have Cdn grain alcohol added.

Unfortunately, ingredients do not appear on wine and liquor labels.  I know
of several wines that are brought up to the required alcohol content with
the addition of grain alcohol.   Needless to say, fortified wines such as
port and sherry usually contain some non gf ingredients.

IMHO every celiac who enjoys a glass of wine should be making their own.
Great hobby!!!!  And you will really enjoy the fruits of your labour.
(Sorry.)

As to 'safe' alcohols, the only one I can vouch for is Napoleon brandy.
What more do you need?

Jessie in BC