From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 23:50:04 EST

                       Small Group Discussions
                       -----------------------

At our September meeting we broke into small groups.  Here are notes
from two of these small group discussions; others may be covered in a
future newsletter:

Parents of Children with Celiac Disease, summarized by Kent Helmer
---------------------------------------
Of the thirteen families represented around our discussion table,
nearly half were new to TCCSSG and attending their first meeting.
Four families had had their child diagnosed with Celiac Disease (CD)
within the past three months.  Many of the families had other children
in the family either tested or scheduled for testing after their first
child was diagnosed positive for CD.  There were slightly more
daughters with CD than sons with CD in all the families combined.  The
youngest CD children were fifteen to eighteen months old with the
oldest CD kids being eleven and twelve years old.

Discussions centered around two topics: 1) What can I do to feed my
child now, and 2) What changes can I expect in my child and when will
we see them now that we're on the diet?  On the first topic, the Bette
Hagman books (The Gluten-Free Gourmet, etc.) were suggested as a good
general resource for gluten-free (GF) foods and cooking but constant
reference was made to our TSSCCG buying guide as "the source" for
panicky parents.  Specific suggestions included Freeda brand vitamins
as child-friendly; MacDonalds brand french fries and a strawberry or
vanilla shake (not chocolate) for quick snacking; and Boston Market
restaurants for a fuller meal without much fuss (see the July 1999
issue of The Spue-nik Press for more on this topic).

For those with Internet access, the "CEL-KIDS" e-mail list can be a
source of discussion of celiac concerns specific to children and their
families.  (To subscribe to this free e-mail list, send a message
containing "SUBSCRIBE CEL-KIDS firstname lastname" to this address:
[log in to unmask]).  The CELIAC e-mail list's web page,
at http://www.enabling.org/ia/celiac, is a source for back issues of
our own Sprue-nik Press and includes much other information for any
parent with a specific query that needs an answer.

On the "how long until I see changes in my child?" question, the
discussion ranged far and wide.  Some parents saw a relatively quick,
10 weeks to 6 months, turnaround in their child(ren) with a GF diet,
both in a child's height and weight.  Other parents saw positive
results over a longer time period.  Some symptoms, like joint or
"bone" pain or bloated tummies, may hang on longer than other
symptoms.  Allergies and other health conditions may complicate or
slow the healing process.  The bottom line though seemed to be, "Don't
panic".  Families need to take a long view of the child's recovery and
new lifestyle.  Make sure everyone in the family is aware of what is
necessary to maintain the GF diet (like separate toasters or
"off-limits" GF snacks) but don't let those concerns stop you from
doing all the things that the family enjoys.  It is important to make
things as normal as possible for all family members.

Dining Out, summarized by Elaine Lafata
----------
* The Chinese Rainbow restaurant at 9 Mile and Farmington is a great
  place to eat.  You can ask for "Marilyn's soy sauce" (which is GF)
  if you eat there; Marilyn left a bottle of it there.

* Avoid imitation crab at Rainbow and other Chinese restaurants, as it
  often contains wheat.

* Peabody's in downtown Birmingham has steak (not marinated only),
  chicken, and prime rib with au jus that are all safe.  Their
  raspberry vinegrette dressing is okay, and their fish is fresh, not
  breaded.

* Old Keg, a chain in Ontario including Windsor and London, was
  recommended.

* On the Border, a Mexican restaurant at Haggerty and 8 Mile in Novi,
  has several GF items as they understand the celiac diet.

* At Don Pablo's, at Ford and I-275 in Canton, their Mama's skinny
  enchiladas and sour cream are safe.

* Boost Bars are GF, as is the Boost drink.

* Applebee's steamed vegetable platter is GF; just be sure to order it
  without the bread.

* Cooker will make a GF combination dish with various vegetables and a
  baked potato.

* At the Outback Steak House you can order non-marinated steaks.  They
  are very accommodating to special diets.

* The Soaring Eagle restaurant will prepare special meals as needed.