From:
Bobbie Proctor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 17:18:12 -0400

Hi, Sheri

Your post is kind of old by now (I have a lot of catching up to do on
my email!) but I didn't see a summary, so I thought I'd answer it
anyway.

I had major surgery just after my diagnosis. It was a scheduled
surgery, not emergency, so I was able to donate my own blood ahead of
time to be used if transfusion was needed. They didn't need it, as it
turned out, but I felt much safer, and would recommend doing that
before any scheduled surgery.

I don't know whether self-donated blood could be stored for possible
emergency use, or whether a donor's blood would cause such a reaction
as your son had (I was worried about such a problem then too). Maybe
one of the health professionals on the list could say.

Good luck and good health!
Bobbi in Baltimore

>>> Sheri Sanderson <[log in to unmask]> - 8/7/99 3:24 AM >>>

 . . . Have any of you required a blood transfusion since going GF?

My son had major surgery and required a transfusion.  When he was
released, he was more than a bit wild.  This would be a normal
reaction to ingestion of gluten, but the hospital dietician (and I)
were very careful with his = foods.

Could he have had a reaction to the gluten antibodies that would
assumable be present in the donor's blood?