From:
Robin Getz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Oct 1999 10:09:20 -0600

I wanted to thank those of you (over 30 of you) who responded to my
worries of my 3 year old son who was accidentially given an oreo by a
mom helping out in his preschool class...My son never showed a reaction
so apparently, he is not sensitive.

Quite a few parents had been in a similar boat as I was and they wanted
to support me and share that is it difficult to keep our children gluten
free in an environment that we have no control of and that accidents can
happen, but luckily with support and understanding and education, they
are few and far in between.

Many respondents stated that one piece of cookie won't necessarily cause
a reaction in my son, and that it takes several exposures to gluten to
get a reaction and that it can take up to 6 months to have a reaction
unless you are hypersensitive.

Many of you also shared that 3 years old is too young to understand the
consequences.  They will attempt to do as others are.  They are also
used to authority figures handing them what they can eat, therefore,
they assume whatever is given to them is okay. They will learn more and
more as they age.

Many of you applauded Tyler's teacher for becoming more proactive by
putting a warning about feeding the children without checking with the
teachers first.  Tyler does bring his own GF snack to school each day as
the moms in the class take turns bringing in a snack for the day and it
is difficult to learn in advance what will be brought in...

One mom suggested doing what she does with her son, and that is putting
a sticker on the child that states "do not feed me anything that has not
been approved by my parents first"...

Thank you once again for your kind words and support and advice.  It is
greatly appreciated.

Robin in CO, USA