From:
Suzanne Romey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 14:12:04 -0400

There were too many responses for me to answer everyone individually.  The
burnt toast is probably not a problem.  A couple of people said that I might
have problems if I breath the flour, but most people said that gluten has to
be ingested to cause damamge.  Below is an answer from a scientist.

>No the smoke will not contain gluten.  Gluten and gliadin
>are huge molecules and have effectively no vapour pressure
>(sorry to go all scientific).  This means that they don't
>evaporate when heated, they break down.  When burnt there
>is unlikely to be any active part of the molecule left (my
>reading makes me think that even cooking has an effect in
>reducing the amount of "gluten" in food - not enough of
>course that you can use this to protect yourself)

Celiac disease is a serious disease and it is essential to avoid all traces
of gluten.  Even if we don't have a reaction from eating gluten, there is
still damage to our intestines which can accumulate.  So there were many
suggestions on how to reorganize my kitchen.  I will have to do some
shopping soon.  The cutting board is the main problem.  It would be better
to have one made of acrylic or plastic.  I should also probably have a
separate cutting board that is GF.  Alot of people suggested using separate
containers with labels or squeeze bottles for peanut butter, etc.  One
person suggested to wipe off counters with a damp paper towel whenever I
have to clean up after hubby has made a mess.  Some people said I should
have my own space in the kitchen that is GF.  We are fairly poor and have a
small kitchen.  One person suggested buying a small counter top sized table,
which may be possible.  Some people said that contaminated dishes are not a
problem if they are washed thoroughly.  A dishwasher would be good, but we
don't have one.  One person said I should store my separate food out of
plain view so that he probably won't get into it.

As far as the divorce, only a couple of people thought that would be a good
idea.  I really don't consider it an option.  But if I had the money, I'd
love to have a separate apartment though!  But money is always the problem
with everything it seems like.  Anyway, back to the summary.  I admire the
many people who have sensitive and considerate spouses.  Some people even go
so far as to be GF in the home out of consideration for their spouses!  That
is not the case in my situation, and it was good to hear from others who
have a similar problem.  A lot of people suggested that he needs to be
educated the seriousness of celiac disease.  He doesn't even want celiac
disease to be mentioned to him.  He is partly reacting to the old me who
complained all the time about all the problems I had.  I really felt like I
could die and couldn't figure out what was causing it or what to do about
it.  He was afraid to tell me to shut up then because he was really worried.
I really wasn't that sick, but I sure knew something serious was wrong.  OK,
back to the summary.  A couple of people said that he is in denial.  That
may be true, but I have a hard time understanding that.  He even says that
he is so glad that I'm not sick any more!  Some people said that I will
probably never change him so I just have to learn how to stay healthy.  One
person thought mustard in his beer might remind him when he is being
inconsiderate.  I think that is a great idea.  He doesn't drink beer, but
maybe some salt in his orange juice would do it or pepper.  A couple of
people suggested having my MD talk to him.  Unfortunately my MD is not my
doctor any more.  She was as dense as he is and now I go to a nurse
practitioner who is willing to educate herself about celiac disease.  My
husband would never listen to a nurse and it's too late for a biopsy since I
don't plan to do the gluten challenge.  So that about covers it.  Thanks
again everyone!  I have a lot of good ideas now which I will use.  I really
apperciate everyone's response.

Suzanne