From:
Laura Stokowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 00:27:09 EDT

Hello all,

I have been reading the list for a couple of months and this is my first
post.  I was diagnosed in May, and have been gluten-free (to the best of my
ability given the learning curve) since then.  When told my biopsy and
antibody tests suggested celiac sprue, it was recommended that I follow the
gf diet "to see if I get better".  Well, I never had any symptoms to start
with, so I'm confused as to how I'm going to evaluate the effect of the diet.
The only thing was a slight iron deficiency.  Unfortunately we moved from
Kansas City to Vancouver , WA right after my diagnosis, so I can't ask the
gastroenterologist who diagnosed me.  I will be seeing a local
gastroenterologist soon, but in the meantime I'm curious to know if there are
others out there like me - e.g. diagnosed with celiac sprue but with none of
the typical symptoms.  How do you know if you've accidently ingested gluten?
How can you evaluate a new product?  I'm really worried about this because of
the risk of developing lymphoma if I'm inadvertently ingesting gluten.  Do
those of you with no symptoms have regular blood tests to monitor the diet?
I'm very grateful that I don't suffer from some of the things I've read
about, but it makes it hard to follow the gf diet because there is no
feedback of any kind.

I'd like to tack on a question about the thing I miss most - flour tortillas
(the first thing I eat in the dream where I'm told the lab made a terrible
mistake and switched my results with someone else...).  Anyway, does anyone
know if it's possible to make or buy a substitue for flour tortillas?  I know
about corn tortillas, it's just not the same.

Thanks in advance  for any help or suggestions

Laura in Vancouver, WA