From:
Craig Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Oct 1999 13:29:50 -0700

Hi all.  Thanks to the replies on kahlua's gluten free
status.  The results are mixed.  Some people said that
it DOES indeed contain gluten (none were specific as
to how).

A few people said that it does NOT contain gluten.  I
will reprint some responses here, and follow with a
second post giving recipes for making it yourself.
the reset of this post are direct reprints of other
people's messages.

-Craig

+++++++++++

From the archives in 1998:

For all the Kahlua lovers out there, there is no good
news.  I have been unable to come up with a definite
answer.  Several people emailed me that Kahlua is not
gluten free but offered no confirmation.  I even
searched the ListServ archives and could not find
anything definite.  However, the general consensus is
that Kahlua is Not GF.  Sorry!  And as you know by
now, it is better to be safe than sorry.

++++++++++

Recent responses to my post:

Craig,   Yes, Kahlua is gluten free.  This is one of
my favorite alcohols, especially for coffee.  I made
several long distance calls after my dx in Jan. and
was assured that Kahlua is not made with any grains.
I forget the name of the plant (it is a mexican name,
of course) but it is some kind of fruit.   I drink it
quite often with no effects, and believe me, I know if
I have a gluten accident.  Sorry I don't have  the
names of the people I talked to, but this was in
January, and I have thrown them out.  Good Luck.

My very gluten sensitive system tells me that Kahlua
is perfectly safe.

Cheers!!

Drink away - yum yum!

=====