From:
The Josephs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 13:37:09 -0400

I received about a dozen replies telling me not to use the product
because it contains barley and oats.  Two people recommended using a
juicer to get antioxidants and one said it's best to eat whole fruits
and vegs.

I already knew better than to take these supplements, but was curious as
to how the manufacturer could state in writing that they're gluten-free.

The premise of this supplement is that it's difficult and expensive to
eat enough fruits and vegs every day, so they have made capsules and
other products out of juiced then dried fruits and vegs.  Supposedly
they contain all the vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, fiber, enzymes,
and phytochemicals and therefore benefits of the whole plant.  They
claim to be gluten-free, HOWEVER, they contain BARLEY, BARLEY BRAN, and
OAT BRAN.

I called Natural Alternatives International (in TN) 901-366-9288 and
talked to Dr. John Mori (biochemist or something, sorry I don't know
exactly).  He said they "receive barley bran and oat bran already in the
bran form, separated from the kernel which contains gluten.  Our product
contains fiber, not gluten".  I asked him about the grasses I had read
about somewhere. He said the LITE meal replacement drink powder contains
wheat grass which DOES contain gluten.

He says he knows of celiac patients (I never told him I was celiac) who
take the supplements "successfully".

I told him I buy gluten-free products from companies who wouldn't DREAM
of putting barley or oats in their foods.

Bottom line, I am not convinced.  I think they're out of their minds
saying the product is gluten-free.

I can't believe there would be no cross-contamination even if we could
have the bran of these grains.

Kris in Ohio