From:
Dave & Tracy Baxter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 14:27:58 -0400

I was diagnosed with celiac and have been on a diet for two years, since
the birth of my 2 yr old son.  My son was showing symptoms such as, slow
growth, poor eating, irritability, wakes screaming, and had 2-3 loose
bowel movements a day.  I suspected lactose intolerance and/or celiac,
so I took him off lactose which helped somewhat.  He had an endoscopy
and colonoscopy two weeks ago which showed lactose intolerance and
esophagitus, but no celiac.  Since he was still showing symptoms I put
him on a gluten free diet after the tests .  It is amazing the
difference - he wakes up happy, asks for waffles (gluten free) and asks
for food instead of me begging him to eat.  His stools have also
improved and are mostly solid.  Since the biopsy showed no celiac, could
he have a wheat allergy? I am thinking of keeping him gluten free for a
month or two and then going back to a normal diet to see what happens.
We will also see an Allergist.  Has anyone else experienced this or can
anyone give any suggestions?

Also, are there any resources to find lactose free items like there is
for gluten free?  Is there lactose free butter for baking or yogurt?

I appreciate any feedback.  Thank you so much.  Tracy.