From:
Carol Lydick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jul 1999 12:49:03 -0700

Recently I went to buy some Calcium supplement and found that they now
appeared to have soy in them.   I was so upset that I wrote the
company.  Although this E-mail was in reference to soy this time, it
could have just as easily applied to gluten.

They sent me back a nice letter which brings up two issues. First is,
What is the new regulations referred to that are set up by the FDA.  Does
this regulation apply to all drugs?  Does is apply to food and cosmetic
labels or is it just select things?  Does anyone have the scoop on this
new regulation?  My other concern is one we all have.  What else is
lurking in the products we use where we least expect it. (I am on an
elimination diet again, because something still has me down)
I know that we have been fighting for better labels.  Did they pass a law
that gave them to us?  If so, terrific!!!!!

Here is an excerpt of Solgar's reply to my E-mail.
The following is a excerpt of a quote from Solgar

......I understand that you have some concerns about Solgar's Calcium
Magnesium Tablets.  I would like to clarify this situation for you.  The
product's formulation has not changed, but the way the information is
presented on the label has changed.  Our revised labels reflect accurate
information as set forth by the FDA labeling regulations.  In the
production of Solgar's Calcium Magnesium Tablets, soy polysaccharide is
used for disintegration.  It has always been one of the excipients used
in this product.  Prior to the new regulations, it was industry practice
to label only active ingredients because the inactive ingredients are
used in such minute quantities.  Referred to as "excipients", these
inactive ingredients are now required to be fully disclosed on all
dietary supplement labels.  This is the reason why you now see the "other
ingredients", including soy polysaccharide, listed on the new label for
Solgar's Calcium Magnesium Tablets.  These new labels are helpful because
they provide the public with more information so that they can make
informed decisions...............end excerpt.

Carol in NJ