Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 22:20:10 -0400

UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND CENTER FOR CELIAC RESEARCH MULTICENTER
SEROLOGICAL STUDY
UPDATE AS OF September 1, 1999
RESEARCH UPDATE

Currently, the Center for Celiac Research is involved in three critical
research areas:

*       Multi-Center Serological Screening Study to determine the
        prevalence of Celiac Disease in the United States

We have tested 3,998 individuals as part of the Multi-Center Serological
Study for the prevalence of Celiac Disease in the United States.  Our
preliminary findings indicate that 5.7% of first -degree relatives and
3.1% of second degree relatives of celiacs test positive for the
disease.  These results are similar to those reported previously in
Europe, suggesting that Celiac Disease is currently under-diagnosed in
the United States.

We are extremely encouraged by these preliminary findings; however, many
more subjects need to be screened to put the study into full operation.
Your financial help is pivotal to accomplish our goals.

*       New Diagnostic Assay to develop a non-invasive diagnostic test
        for Celiac Disease

Our scientists have been able to develop a more sensitive, non-invasive,
and specific test for Celiac Disease based on the use of tissue
transglutaminase.  We were able, for the first time, to clone the human
tTG gene.  Our preliminary results show that the human TtG assay
performs much better than the commerically-available tests (including
anti-endomysium antibodies and guinea pig-based transglutaminase assay).

*       New Dot-Blot Assay

We have developed a human tTG dot-blot test based on the detection of
anti-tTG antibodies in serum or in one drop of whole blood, which can be
carried out within thirty minutes.  The preliminary results of the
dot-blot assay indicate that the assay is as reliable as the human tTG
ELISA test, making the diagnosis of Celiac Disease possible at the
physician's ambulatory site.

If the sensitivity and specificity of these tests can be confirmed on a
large scale, a case can be made on the possible discontinuation of the
invasive intestinal biopsy procedure as the "gold standard" for the
diagnosis of CD.  This would result in early identification and
treatment for patients with CD at a significant cost savings. We will
continue to validate these innovative tests during the future blood
screenings.

BLOOD SCREENINGS

Blood screenings of first and second degree relatives have been
conducted in California, Kentucky, Maryland, Montana, Pennsylvania, New
Hampshire, New York, North Carolina,  Rhode Island, Texas, and
Washington state.

FUND-RAISING UP-DATE

We are happy to report that as of September 1, 1999, the University of
Maryland's Center for Celiac Research has received approximately
$369,494.00 in contributions and pledges. We thank all of you who have
made a contribution or pledge.

As we reported in the June update, when we began this effort back in May
of 1977, we suggested that if 1000 Celiacs, relatives or friends would
make a commitment to pledge $200 per year for three (3) years, we would
be on our way to funding this extremely important study.

For now, we cannot rely on any outside financial assistance.  So please,
help us to help you.  Remember we are not asking you to make a
contribution, but to make an investment in the well being of every
celiac - now and in the future.

DONATION CHECKS

Please make all donation checks payable to the University of Maryland
Foundation, Inc. and send with the pledge form or a note saying that the
donation is for the Center for Celiac Research.  Since the University of
Maryland Foundation, Inc. houses all the gift funds for the University,
they are not permitted to deposit checks into the Celiac account if the
check is not made payable to the University of Maryland Foundation, Inc.
Thanks for your cooperation.

UNITED WAY CONTRIBUTIONS

This is another great way to make a gift to the Center for Celiac
Research and satisfy your employer's request to participate in the
United Way Appeal.  Please designate under Other The
University of Maryland Foundation/Center for Celiac Research, 511 W.

Lombard St, Baltimore, MD  21201.

OTHER WAYS OF GIVING TO THE CENTER

For many, providing for important research is an important aspect of
their financial planning.  If this is true for you, prudent and skillful
investment planning can create rewarding opportunities for both you and
the Center for Celiac Research.  You may interested to know, for
example, that:

*       Appreciated securities, held long-term, can be given to the
Center without incurring a capital gains tax.  And, the full fair market
value of the securities is available as a charitable deduction.

*       Life insurance that is no longer needed for family or business
protection can provide major support for the Center while producing
important tax savings for you.

*       Participation in a pooled income fund or the establishment of a
charitable trust, using appreciated securities, for the eventual benefit
of the Center can be an excellent means of increasing your spendable
income and minimizing income, capital gains, estate and inheritance
taxes.

*       The final opportunity to express your lasting commitment to the
Center for Celiac Research at the University of Maryland School of
Medicine is through your will or revocable trust.

*        Of course, charitable bequests are not subject to the federal
gift tax and are not included in the "taxable estate" for federal estate
tax purpose.

WEB SITE

Our web site, celiaccenter.org, has been on line since the middle of
June. The research and fundraising updates, as well as updates on the
Ninth International Symposium on Celiac Disease, individual and group
screening information, blood screening locations, and donation
information will be posted on the web site.

NINTH INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON CELIAC DISEASE

The Center for Celiac Research at the University of Maryland School of
Medicine, the University of Chicago, and the University of California,
San Diego are pleased to announce joint sponsorship of the Ninth
International Symposium on Celiac Disease to be held August 10-13, 2000
in Baltimore, Maryland. A brochure outlining the program, and
registration and hotel information will be distributed to all group
leaders throughout the country, and additional brochures will be made
available to them for distribution to their members.  We anticipate a
very large attendance so we advise you to register as soon as possible.

WHAT CAN YOU DO?

1)      If you have not made a pledge or contribution, please consider
making one at this time. Please make checks payable to the UM
Foundation, Inc. Center for Celiac Research, Attn:  Pam King, 700 W.
Lombard St. Room 206, Baltimore, MD  21201. These funds are
administered by the University of Maryland Foundation, Inc.

2)      If possible, increase your current pledge or make another gift
at this time.

3)      Discuss the importance of this study with fellow celiacs,
relatives, friends or whoever might be in a position to help.  Ask them
to contribute.

4)      Organize discussions and/or fund-raising efforts with your local
support group.

5)      Help us to identify possible organization, companies, trusts or
foundations that might be in a position to help.  Please contact Pam
King at 410-706-8021 if you have any questions or need any assistance.

6)      Send contributions to the Center for Celiac Research in honor or
in memory of a friend or loved one.  Make a gift to the Center in honor
of the holidays.