From:
Bette Elsden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 14:17:55 EDT

Greetings all--

I received many responses (over 50) to my April 19 post asking the above
question.  I'd like to thank all those who took the time to respond;  you
were all supportive, sympathetic, and encouraging.  As a result, I feel much
more at ease about getting the biopsy done, when the time comes (my doctor's
appointment isn't until May 28).

Here is a summary of what I heard from list members:

Virtually all stated that the biopsy was no big deal, but strongly supported
the use of anesthesia.  Some people were completely "out" during the
procedure, some were semi-awake and others completely awake.  Many were given
drugs that induced a type of amnesia and don't remember the experience at
all.  The vast majority felt no ill aftereffects other than sluggishness from
the drug(s);  a few reported a mild sore throat for a day or two, 1 or 2 felt
a little queasy.

A few people decided to have the procedure without anesthesia, for various
reasons, and of those, several expressed discomfort (but not pain) from
having the scope put down them, or from having their throats sprayed with
medication to numb the area.  These messages reinforce the general opinion
that getting anesthesia--either being totally "out" or being sedated with a
drug like Valium--is the way to go.  (Although even those who preferred to go
without the drugs still said the endoscopy wasn't something to worry about.)

Several people reported that the procedure has been much improved over the
past few years. A number have had it done 2 or more times for verification
purposes and still say "it's no big deal."

Some compared endoscopy with other tests they've had in connection with their
GI problems (colonoscopy, sigmoidoscopy, etc.), and state that the endoscopy
was the least troublesome by far.

One person warned that if one's bladder is weak it is advisable to wear a
hospital gown, in case of an unavoidable accident.

Typical quotes:
"no big deal. go in, go home."
"the worst part of the biopsy is worrying about it."

I hope this summary helps others on the List who haven't yet had the biopsy
feel better about getting it done.  Without exception, everyone who wrote to
me strongly urged me to do it.  Reasons ranged from getting reinforcement to
stay on the diet, to being able to have verification and validation for the
benefit of skeptical relatives, friends and physicians.

It was amazing to read so many stories of people coping with CD.  It helped
me feel less alone in my journey to find a diagnosis and appropriate
treatment.  Again, many thanks for the uniformly caring messages.  You folks
are great.

Bette