From:
Barry Marler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 1999 08:05:41 -0400
My system does not assign enough memory to dos for running scandisk, or
much anything else.  I'd like to use loadlin.exe, a dos program that will
give me the option of choosing Linux or Win98 at bootup, and suspect that
the low memory situation will prevent its being run. Can anyone tell me
what statement I should add to config.sys?

I get the following message when I try to run scandisk from dos:

There is not enough free conventional memory to check a disk.

You may need to remark (REM) some device drivers from your CONFIG.SYS
file.  Or, in your CONFIG.SYS file, you may need to load the EMM386.EXE
driver to load your other device drivers into the Upper Memory Blocks
using DEVICEHIGH= statements.

This is the system, more or less:

Win98 2nd ed.
SOYO SY-6BA+ III
PIII 450
IBM 14.4 GB DTTA-371440
one 128 MB DIMM
Creative Graphic Blaster Riva TNT 16 MB
Creative Sound Blaster Live! Value
Toshiba SD-M1212 6X-DVD-ROM
Hollywood Plus DVD/MPEG-3 Decoder Card

Here's my config.sys:

device=C:\WINDOWS\himem.sys
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE
DEVICE=C:\CDPRO\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:MSCD001

/b
Barry Marler
Department of Medical Microbiology and Parasitology
University of Georgia
(706)542-0742 (voice)
(706)542-0059 (fax)

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: