From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 11:23:02 -0400
Scandisk won't run without himem.sys installed.  This is normally
handled by dos without a device=himem.sys line in config.sys since
microsoft loads certain defaults, but if himem is not found and there
is no config.sys file pointing to its location, the boot finishes without
any messages.  This condition happens most frequently when a boot diskette
or cd that does not contain himem.sys is used.
Tom Turak