From:
Robert Prickett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 1999 16:19:04 GMT
On Sun, 5 Sep 1999 19:04:34 -0400, you wrote:

>I have an installation where I have to run cat5 cabling through a conduit

Been there!  I used ordinary garden hose [high quality--still, it's a
cheap conduit] and if couplings are needed to make the length, seal
them completely with RTV after tightening.  Pull the Cat5 through the
hose on the ground [I sprayed the cable with silicon lube for pulling]
then test the cable before putting it inside the bigger conduit.

When all is okay, spray the garden hose with more silicon, and
plumber's stores have pipe feeders.  Pull on the garden hose,
and make sure the ends are well above water/seepage level.

BTW: since Cat 5 is relatively cheap, I pulled through two of them
together--having one as a spare--just in case.  They fit inside a 3/4"
garden hose without any problems, although keeping the hose straight
while pulling the cable was not easy.  I vowed the next tirme I did
this, I would lay out the hose in the sun a few hours---straight as
possible, using bricks or blocks of wood to keep it straight. Once the
sun had 'set' the hose a bit, [taking out the natural curvers from
being coiled] it would have been a lot easier.

bob

Small Claims Court Collection
and Windows95 / 98 Help
www.computerhelp.org