From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 02:05:15 -0500
From: Alan Eugene Davis Sent: Subject: [PCBUILD] New Adaptec 2940U2W and old
Microtek Scanner.

> I have this new SCSI card.  I have an old Microtek scanner, with no
> model number on it.  The scanner comes with a 50 pin to a Centronics
> cable (on the scanner end).  I am beginning to wonder whether I can
> connect this scanner to this adaptor.  First, apparently I need an
> internal to external "Ultra" SCSI cable (in Adaptec's jargon).  How
> can I tell whether this scanner will work with this card?   I'll try a
> local shop for the cable.
>
> I have read a few web pages/tutorials, but haven't sorted out what can
> connect to what.  Where can I find a concise, yet thorough source of
> information about such practical matters?
>
> Thank you for any help, as well as, of course the consistently helpful
> advice I have received in the past from the regulars on this list.
>
> Alan Davis

I have the same card and your scanner can work with the card but you need
one of Adaptec's cables to connect it.  The cable is a ACK-50I-50E HD50
Internal to HD 50 External cable, it was $24.50 from Adaptec.  You can find
the cable at their online store.  It plugs into the internal 50 pin
connector, has two internal connections for cd roms or zip and then you use
a slot on your motherboard for the external connection.  This card will work
with U2 SCSI drives, UW SCSI drives and fast scsi devices.  If you have an
U2 LVD Drive then you need a special U2 cable with termination.  The U2 bus
does not provide termination.  Adaptec's site has good information on how to
hook up all of your peripherals to this card.  I have a Zip, Jaz, HP 4C
scanner, 2 UW SCSI Drives, 1 U2 LVD SCSI drive, a cd rom and a CDRW all
hooked up to the card.

Mary Wolden