From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 11:28:35 -0700
On 25 Jul 99, at 20:15, Dean Kukral wrote:

> I have been asked to add a sound card to a system owned
> by a friend on a budget.
>
> The local dealer has some sound cards for about $20.  I
> hypothesize that these cards probably would have been
> state-of-the-art five years ago, and, therefore, would do
> fine for her - as opposed to spending nearly $100 for a
> current SB or the like, which would have all sorts of
> bells and whistles that she does not need.
>
> Am I correct, or are these cheapie sound cards likely to
> turn out to be junk?  (Sound-Quality wise.)
>
> (Her system is a P100, 32meg, Windows 3.1, DOS 6.1)

  I've had several cheap ISA sound cards in a row that didn't keep working
very well.  So when I last upgraded, I decided to go with a PCI sound card
instead of ISA.
  The card I got was made by SIIG (I've bought various serial, parallel, and
VGA cards from them over the years), priced at about $30, and it has
performed flawlessly for about three months now.  [I recently looked for
another one, and couldn't seem to find any more of them, but that situation
could be local or temporary.]

David G

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html