From:
"Nasser, David" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 09:18:28 -0500
I had a Cav. 3.2 in my P5 desktop maybe a year ago. Ran fine
for months (NTWS). Started to fail boot occasionally.
Ran WDDIAG, no apparent problem. Got worse over maybe 4
weeks. Finally failed WDDIAG and WD replaced it. Was lucky
to be able to recover system/data with Partition Magic
before shipping Fine, Fine (defective) device back to WD.
Very massive headache.

It is possible for these drives to exhibit sporadic
evidence of impending failure that WDDIAG is not
capable of detecting. Have you tried running WDDIAG
immediatly after the boot problem? If so, I'd talk
to WD tech. support. They _should_ know that WDDIAG
is not capable of detecting all errors.

Hope this helps a bit ...

  David