From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 10:58:30 -0700
> From:    Richard Archer <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Meat vs. grain/legume

<snip>
>Let me elaborate. The cases which I am thinking
> about
> >are situations where meat is scarce. So, in order
> >survive, the folks had to come up with a
> replacement
> >for meat. Which they seem to do alright or even
> thrive
> >on.
>
> Which cases in particular are you thinking of? The
> only H-G peoples I can
> think of that obtain more than 80% of their calories
> from plants are the
> !Kung.

I was not specifically speaking of hunter/gatherers.

There are groups all over the world, from India to
Europe to North America who's diet is comprised mostly
of grain/legume mixtures.

My conjecture is that these folks - as long as they
stay off meat - may stay very healthy. It seems the
unhealthiest (and fattest) folks around are those who
"mix" meat and grains/legumes.

Two points here. One is that most of the studies I've
read about the unhealthfulness of grain have been done
on populations that do mix meat and grains in their
diets. And how do you explain the robust health of
groups like Seventh Day Adventists who eschew meat
from their diet and rely mostly on grains/legumes?

It seems like the two simply don't mix very well.