From:
"T. Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 06:16:19 -0500
>If anyone can give me information about the properties of root vegetables,
>I'd appreciate it. I know they're dull and boring, but they are one of the
>missing links to the dietary past! Maybe it's time we got back to our
roots.

    If you're going to eat a high-carb tuber, sweet potatoes are the way to
go (note that these are not the same as yams). One 4-oz sweet potato has
250% the RDA of vitamin A, and 50% of the RDA of vitamin C. It's also a
decent source of B6 and folate, as well as a smattering of minerals like
potassium and magnesium.

    On a calorie by calorie basis, though, carrots are even better: eating
carrots sufficient to provide the same calories as a sweet potato gives you
about the same amount of C, but more fibre and potassium, plus 800% of the
RDA of vitamin A.

    Of course, all roots tend to be high enough in carbs that when it comes
to micronutrients per calorie, they're blown away by the low-carb leafy
greens.