C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Trisha Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 11:01:00 -0400
Hi Bob,

   In the least sarcastic terms possible. That's we as parents should never
make a decision without the childs consent or approval ( no matter the
child's age)- that is basically better to accept the fact the child is
perfect as is and do nothing to improve the quality of their life - so when
they grow up rather than rampage about surgeries they didn't consent to -
they rampage over what we didn't do to help make them more functional --
bottom line it was a no win discussion - Parents are f'ed no matter what
they do. That it is not accepting who someone is if we try to limit the
damage the CP will do as the child grows. That by doing our level best to
give them a reasonable quality of life within there limitations we are not
accepting them as who they are but trying to perfect them. Most of the
people who answered have more issues with what someone did in an effort to
help than I have over being battered and raped. Since it was Elaine's first
posting - no one of course inquired further as to her decision making
process but opened fire without mercy or consideration. We don't take
prisoners on this list!!!

                                                   Trisha