C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stephen Allman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 13:44:37 EDT
There are many CP adults trying to find the answers to where they will live.
We need to realistically find a way to keep people out of institutions and
help people that need a lot of care feel included in society. The is an
institution in Philadelphia called the Englis House for the severely
disabled. they do a horrible job with taking care of people. They also have a
$250 million project in Phila. to have a wheelchair only area. This may sound
like a wonderful idea but most people that live there hate it because of
crime and exclusion. What they should have tried is buying houses and the
price of what they are so it does not devalue the neighborhood and have
people with CP live together in a house and help each other. The people
should have a trial period to get to know each other and it should be a mix
of wheelchair users and people that walk. The Supreme Court decision was a
great victory but if the disabled community does not propose suggestions on
improving the living conditions it will not mean much

We need to write letters to our representatives and vote in elections to
prove that people with disabilities need and deserve to be represented.

Stephen Allman