C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jun 1999 20:02:43 +0100
Jasper,

> Even though my reply is not focussed around the topic of the
> list, I belief my reply to Steve might be of interest to more
> subscribers.

I was unable to find what the "topic of the list" is meant to
be. The CataList listing shows  "St Johns University Cerebral
Palsy List (339 subscribers)".

Does this mean only posts about St John's University are welcome.
I did try to look back in the archive to see if the original
subscribers had considered "suitable topics" for the list, but
unfortunately you seem to have removed these archives.

I have noticed in several of your posts that you have a very
positive sense of what is/is not on/off topic:-

> Let's take this topic offlist...
> Be advised that anyone who continues further on this topic will
> be set to review, meaning that my approval is required before a
> message will be distributed to the list.

> If one wants to express care and help on another, please keep
> that on the topic of CP.

> ... though it might not fit the topic of Cerebral
> Palsy that well and thus isn't 'preffered' on this list.

> - How the subject of your message fits the list topic and how
>   many of the 355 people subscribed would be interested.

> Even though my reply is not focussed around the topic of the
> list,

Do you think this list is about Cerebral Palsy??

I think this list is about far more than that.

   Chatting to friends
   Asking advice
   Moral support
   Political support
   Entertainment
   Literary Accomplishment
   Information
   Caring
   Diversion
   Learning

   and more...

      and more.

> Steve,
>
> Your praised previous 'List Meister' has decided to abandon his
> virtual children. When he in all his non-intrusive silence left
> the error-messages to bounce to the real Listmaster, I was
> asked to pull things on track again.
>
> My knowledge of cerebral palsy indeed isn't all that much, but
> I have urned my stripes in managing numerous mailinglists for
> years.

You need no knowledge of CP to manage this list, although I bet
you know more now (if you read some of the posts).

> > My preference, since we are capable of self governance, would
> > that he be more alert to improving the technicalities of list
> > maintenance, less involved with content.
>
> St.Johns University provides the resources for this
> mailinglist. Due to problems in the past, they decided to drop
> the concept op self-governance and made list-owners the sole
> managers of mailinglists.
>
> This doesn't mean at all that I distance myself from raised
> ideas and critique. I belief that indeed my task is mainly
> technical. This group knows how to govern itself; the fact that
> there are over 300 subscribers shows that. And I was not going
> to change that with a message about a 'virus' that I wrote when
> my mind was focused on a personal issue. I -have- raised my
> concerns in the past about the attractiveness of off-topic
> postings to all of the 300+ subscribers.

[snip]

> Jasper

I notice your sign-offs have changed over time:-

> Jasper van Beusekom
> Temporary list-clerk
>
> Jasper
> Listowner
>
> Jasper, who dislikes filling lists with administrative messages.
> Technical listowner C-Palsy
>
> Jasper van Beusekom
> owner C-PALSY

congratulations on the various promotions.

by the way 'ism' I loved "Bad Times", and of course forwarded it
to those I care about.

--
Deri James