C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Barry Ashby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 May 1999 21:08:49 -0400
Hi All,

We have recently joined this list and I have not yet introduced us.  I am
the mother of a 4 yo with Athetoid CP.  He has been on oral Baclofen since
summer which has helped a lot.  He is non-verbal and is learning to use a
Dynavox Communication device.  He has difficulty with balance, combined
with tight joints, means he is not walking.  We just got a motorized WC in
Dec. and he is learning to use it. He also has fine motor difficulties so
is still very dependant for Activities of Daily Living (ie feeding,
dressing, bathing, etc).  He is a sweet, loving, self-determined little
dare-devil---just like his two brothers!

Our family has recently decided to Homeschool.  I will start in the fall
with our rising 5th grader.  The 4 year old is in a wonderful preschool and
will be there again next year.  In the fall of 2000 he will be expected to
start public school.  I want to homeschool him as well.

I would love to hear from anyone who has homeschooled a child with CP.  I
would love to hear from people with CP who went through, or are currently
in, the public school system.  What was/is school-life like?

I am not interested in debating the merits of homeschooling, in general, as
this is a topic that can get very heated both pro and con.  I am, however,
interested in views on CP and homeschooling.  What do you think?  What
suggestions do you have?  Any hints and tips are especially welcome.

Thanks,
Kim