VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Apr 1999 13:16:11 -0500
North Carolina educators are facing a dilemma:  what constitutes literacy
in the digital age?  Before them are four teenagers who became blind in
the last few years and are highly computer literate.  Unfortunately, the
teenagers are not as literate in braille and are slow readers.  to receive
a diploma, students must pass a timed literacy and reading comprehension
test.  Current policy says that blind students must take the test in
braille while the students wish to take the test using a personal computer
with speech synthesis.  The article below describes the education battle
brewing between braille literacy advocates, parents of disabled kids
fearful of downshifting expectations and tech savvy students and teachers
as well as lawyers who consider this a civil rights issue.  I would be
curious to learn of the viewpoints of others on this.

kelly