VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jamal Mazrui <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Nov 1998 23:33:28 +0400
A few days ago, I reported problems I experienced in trying to download a
program called Email 2000 from the Parsons Technology web site
(http://www.parsonstech.com).  I appreciated the responses I received which
explained the Java Script and other design elements that were part of the
cause, as well as the offers to retrieve the program for me.  I ended up
getting the program with the help of a sighted assistant who was available
to help click the appropriate spots on a Netscape screen.

I'm pleased to let folks know that the software is noticeably more
accessible than its host web site.  It is a full featured WIN32 email
client which seems to use standard controls almost exclusively, and
use them in combinations that promote usability.  All features are
available in a trial period of a month, after which the program becomes
a more limited freeware edition if not registered for about $40.

I'm still evaluating whether to register, and am curious whether others also
have good experiences with Email 2000.  For anyone who hasn't tried it and
would like to, I've made an archive available in my web space containing
both the program and the documentation I converted to plain text,
http://www.smart.net/~empower/eml2000.zip

For your information, below is a short review of the software which
motivated me to give it a try.

Regards,
Jamal

----------
 (This review was placed on the following Bulletin Board Systems:
1.  Capital PC User Group on November 7, 1998).

EMAIL 2000
Software Review
By
Van Christopher

EMAIL 2000 is an excellent Internet email utility program from PARSONS
TechnologY.  This  program provides you with a multi-functional and easy to
use email client.  Version 1.0, for Windows  95/98, was evaluated for this
review.

Do you need a powerful email program to support your needs?  If you do, read
on.  This program may be  just what you need.

This program has many excellent functions and features.  Some of these
include the following: (1) easy to  install,  (2) easy to use, (3)
outstanding online documentation, (4) can have multiple mailboxes, (5) can
have multiple accounts within a mailbox, (6) supports sending and receiving
attachments, (7) supports  using other program’s address books, (8) uses
filters to route incoming email to other people or folders, (9)  support
signatures, (10) can search for messages, (11) can create custom folders,
(12) can delete messages  from folders, the computer, and the mail server,
(13) has extensive online help, (14) has spell checking,  (15) supports
wireless operations, (16) supports a number of Email 2000 and Windows Hot
Keys, (17)  performs email searches on Lightweight Directory Access Protocol
servers, (18) has a Junk Yard feature  that lets you dispose of unsolicited
or unimportant mail by sending it to the Junk Yard, (19) can configure  the
mail email window, (20) can configure the dockable toolbars, (21) can apply
filters to messages and  folders, (22) creates a copy of the Email 2000
mailbox file on any local or network neighborhood path to  serve as a
backup, (23) marks messages for followup with low, medium, or high priority,
(24) supports the  International Character set, (25) can import from Eudora,
(26) supports authenticated POP login which  enables encrypted password
login to your POP3 server, if the server supports this feature, and (27)
lots and  lots more.

I especially liked the following features of EMAIL 2000:  (1) supports bulk
mail, i.e., using a file  containing a lot of email addresses in the TO:
field of the email message, (2) supports using templates for  frequently
used setups, and (3) can automatically send a response to incoming messages.

The documentation includes the following: (1) a Quick Reference Guide
containing the following four  main sections: (a) Email 2000 Concepts, (b)
Tips for Using Email 2000, (c) Hot Keys, and (d) Advanced  Features, (2) a
Readme File covering the following five topics: (a) Introduction, (b) Free
version and Full- featured version, (c) Contracting Parsons Technology, (d)
Importing address books from other programs,  and (e) Canceling email
downloads, and (3) the Help File, which contains the following eleven
sections:   (a) About Email 2000, (b) Getting Help, (c) Using a Mailbox, (d)
Using Accounts, (e) Create and Respond  to Messages, (f) Receive and Read
Mail, (g) Address Book, (h) Organize Your Messages, (i) Customize  Email
2000, (j) Use Email 2000 with Other Programs, and (k) Reference.

In summary, EMAIL 2000 is a very, very powerful email program that will most
likely be capable of  meeting virtually all of your email needs.  It is just
packed with great and useful features.  It has excellent  help documentation
online.  It is easy to install and use.  It gives you multiple mailbox
support.  If you used  email, you probable need to take a look at this
outstanding program.

Hardware and software requirements include: any Intel-based computer running
Windows 95/98/NT, a  CD-ROM drive for loading the software, 6MB of available
disk space, at least one Internet email account.

EMAIL 2000, v1.0, is available from PARSONS TECHNOLOGY, One Parsons Drive,
P. O. Box 100,  Hiawatha, Iowa 52233-0100.  For more information and
pricing, please call (888)883-0791 or visit their  web site at
'www.parsonstech.com'.

Index of Vicugs	http://trfn.clpgh.org/vipace/vicug/vicugs.html