From:
Dennis Thiel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 23:25:15 -0500
Hello Everyone.

I just upgraded to an Athlon 500 with the Microstar MS-6167 motherboard. The
heat sink/fan that came with the Athlon doesn't fit very tight to the
surface of the chip. There are two spring clips on top and a support that
snaps into holes on the motherboard, but I don't like how loose it is. All
the tension is at the top of the chip where the spring clips are and it
tends to pull the bottom of the heat sink away from the Athlon. The support
at the bottom doesn't hold the heat sink tight to the chip. Perhaps it's
just not a well made heat sink.

Has anyone else had this problem? Anyone know where I can get a good heat
sink/fan for the Athlon? I've been having some random lockups and blue
screens. I'm thinking it might be heat related. Or possibly video related or
a little of both.

System particulars:

Fresh install of Win98 SE.
128 MB PC100 SDRAM.
ASUS V3400 TNT 16MB AGP video card w/tv inputs and outputs.
SCSI Zip and Yamaha CD-RW drives.
IDE CD-ROM.
Western Digital 4.3 gig.
Enlight Tower w/2 cooling fans.