From:
"Marc E. Mosher" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 14:36:37 -0500
  Hello,

  The only way we've been able to fix the problem is to re-install Windows,
which is time-consuming and now this is happening all the time so it's not
practical.

  I posted this question elsewhere and got these two website articles sent
to me which look VERY promising!  I'm reading them at the moment and hope
they will fix the problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q151/9/11.asp
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q130/1/79.asp

Marc

> "Marc E. Mosher" wrote:
>
> >   What happens is the CD-ROM stops working and when we check the SYSTEM
applet
> > in the control panel it says the system has been put into DOS
> > COMPATIBILITY MODE.
>
> I had/have a similar problem and people tell me that it's because I have 4
> devices: 3 HDs and a CD.  I daisy-chained my Primary to the CD (they
'live' next
> to each other and it seemed easiest to go that way) and I had the other 2
Maxtor