From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 14:35:32 -0800
First, the stall.  It is most likely hardware, though it could have to do
with an incompatible driver.  I do know with 3COM PCI NICs that you get
hesitations at regular intervals (the mouse freezes for a moment, the
keyboard stops responding for a moment, etc.) when it is not connected to a
network and it is expecting a network to be there.  Apparently it kept
polling to see if a network would magically show up.  Disabling the card or
removing it was the only solution.  Soooo, your problem could be related to
some hardware or setting.  Following the normal troubleshooting channels,
start removing components til the problem goes away.  Replace components
that are necessary when all unnecessary components have been removed (i.e.
the video card).  If it gets better, you know the last component you removed
was the problem.

About the BIOS issue, try the normal keys on bootup.  I just got through
working on a Pavillion, and F1 worked to get into the setup, even though
there was nothing instructing you to use this key on bootup.  Other
possibilities are the "Del" key, F2, or F10.  One further possibility is to
boot the machine, go to a command prompt, and press Ctrl+Alt+Esc, or
Ctrl+Alt+Enter, or Ctrl+Alt+Ins, or Ctrl+Alt+End.  I have played with a few
machines that required this kind of setup for BIOS changes.  That or you
could check their web site.  HTH.

Kyle